Toptal works Some of the pros and cons, and whether TopTal is a legit way to find an online job first Yes, it is a legit platform for Work-from-home freelancers to find work on; however, a lot of freelancers that apply for the platform actually won’t get accepted.
How does Toptal Work?
The first thing you’ll need to do is apply to their platform to be a freelancer. When you’re applying, you’ll have to choose between five different categories of work: developer, designer, finance expert, management consultant, project manager, and product manager. Sign up and start your application for the platform. This process take a few weeks. Toptal offers a more unique experience than other freelancing platforms.
Read more : 99designs Freelance
It will pair you directly with companies that are looking to work with you. The work also tends to be more long-term. How much can you make on top, though? According to Glassdoor, Toptal freelancers can make between $50,000 and $234,00 per year. Of course, how much you actually make is going to depend on a variety of factors, like the fact that all freelancing income is always going to fluctuate, and if those numbers seem high to you, there’s a reason.
Focuses on quality
- Another pro of working on Toptal is that you’ll get resume-boosting clients because Toptal really focuses on quality. If you become well established on the platform, it’s likely that you’ll have a lot of clients. You’re going to be working with are well or pretty prestigious. Effective high-earning companies are not interested in wasting time or money. Finding freelancers on Work from home sites like Fiverr, so they’re going to turn to Toptal whenever they need a highly qualified worker. Some examples that Toptal has on their websites of clients that they have worked with include HP, Shopify, and Motorola. Another pro is that there are going to be no bidding wars, unlike other platforms.
This helps prevent bidding wars that can often drive down the price of freelancers on other platforms, and it really just eliminates that stressful part of the process.
Read also : Spare time earn money
Potential for steady income
- Another pro is that there’s potential for steady income. At the end of the day, freelancing work is never guaranteed. Most freelancers would give anything for that type of financial stability and longer-term work, at least in the context of having consistent pay for a few months at a time.
- Another pro is that with client vetting, it’s not only the freelancers that have to go through an application process; the clients actually do too. They vet clients by budget, skill, and intent to hire. This is how they make sure that they’re only getting the highest-quality clients on their platform. Another interesting thing that sets Toptal apart is its networking.
How much they value the quality of the people on their platform.
The biggest con is going to be the extensive vetting process. Not only is the vetting process vigorous, it’s also lengthy. After you register, you’ll go through a screening process for them to evaluate your skills. Toptal demands a high level of professionalism, so you’re going to have to be able to meet their high standards. The vetting process can last anywhere from two to five weeks, which is a lot compared to other platforms where you can usually have access to the platform within one to three days.
Some sites like Fiverr or Freelancer let you set up an account on the same day, but the quality of freelancers and clients on these platforms compared to Toptal is going to be very, very different. The actual acceptance requirements of Toptal are extremely rigorous; definitely not everyone is going to qualify for Toptal, and even if you get through a couple of weeks of the screening process, this doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to make it onto their platform.
Toptal reports that they only accept about three percent of freelancers that apply, so the chances are pretty high that your application process won’t pay off unless you’re an expert in your field.
Read more : Website testing from home
Limited work categories
As we’ve already mentioned. There are actually only five categories that you can choose from when you’re signing up for Toptal: developers, designers, project managers, product managers, and finance experts. Even within these categories, there are more limitations than you might expect. Knowing Photoshop isn’t going to be enough to get you onto their platform, even if you’ve been using it for a decade.
people often report that it still takes a while after you join the platform to start getting matched with clients obviously most freelancing platforms prioritise the experience on their platforms and especially on the client side after all just because you report having years of experience that doesn’t necessarily mean that the platform’s clients will automatically love you it takes time to build a reputation on these platforms but once you do the payoff can be huge let’s say that you decide to apply
How can you actually pass the top-tier interviews?
The top-talent application process does include a live interview; for some, this might be the most nerve-wracking part of their application process.
- Tip one is to make sure that your English skills are strong. Total expects a high level of proficiency in English, and during the language portion of the test, they’ll also be judging your motivation as well.
Timed Skills Review
- They’ll present you with a series of problems that you only have a limited amount of time to actually solve. This means that it won’t matter if you lie about your resume; if you can’t pass this part of their interview process, you won’t make it onto the platform.
Only about 7.4 percent of applicants pass this stage.
- Also prepared for a timed coding test. If this sounds completely out of your wheelhouse, then Toptal might not be the platform for you. applicants report that Toptal will ask you to solve two coding problems, and you’ll have a total of about 15 to 20 minutes each. 3.6 of applicants pass this stage, so it’s best to practice before this since this is pretty typical in any tech company. You can find practice tests online.
Completing this project will usually take between one and three weeks, and while you should try to do your best, only about four percent of applicants fail at this stage.
Starting your project
If you’ve made it this far, you have a good chance of success. After your test project, Toptal will start pairing you with clients. Throughout your entire time working with them, they will expect you to maintain a high quality of work. The platform drops 0.2 of freelancers after accepting them to the platform. So it’s important to always bring your a-game.
According to their reviews on Glassdoor, 79 percent of top Toptal workers would recommend the company to a friend, making it a good company to work for. Although this number isn’t exceptional, it does appear to be somewhat average. In this case, their employees, mostly freelancers, have rated the company about 4.1 stars out of 5.
The number one con listed in these reviews is the difficulty of setting boundaries with remote work, but let’s be honest, no matter what platform you’re using, That said, in those reviews, work-life balance is also listed as the second most common pro for Toptal.
Read more : Make money in upwork